Making a difference...One Starfish at a time

Our family started fostering back in 2005. We have been blessed to love on many babies. There has been many twists and turns throughout our journey and in December of 2010 we were called for placement of a newborn baby boy. His biological mother worked a case plan for 18 months and after 23 months she surrendered her rights and we adopted 'Sprout' in December of 2012. Our faith has been tried and tested and we are still certain that God is faithful!

March 21, 2011

Late last night I got a call for a 3 month old baby GIRL.  {I know, I know.  I said that when Sprout leaves...we're DONE}  I just couldn't help myself.  Anyway, the on-call worker was telling me all the details and asked if I wanted to have this baby dropped off or did I want to pick her up!?! I told her I'd pick her up cuz I'd have to run up to good ol' Wally*World to get some girly things.  She said she'd call me back when CP*S let her know what was going on.  While I waited I finished up some laundry, got the others in bed and fed Sprout. She called back to say that bio mom was giving C*PS workers a hard time and they weren't sure what was going to happen.  About 30 minutes later I got another call that there wasn't ONE baby but TWO.  The baby girl had a 12 month old 1/2 sibling {a BOY} who needed to be placed with her.  Well, due to lack of space in the car...I had to say no :(  We only have room for ONE more child unless we are willing to take 2 cars everywhere we go...which I'm not.  I told the worker we'd be willing to be an emergency placement or if they could split them up we'd take either {preferably the BOY} but it didn't work out.  She said she'd call me today if she could split them.  I haven't heard from her.  They are running out of rooms in our county :/  we need more foster parents.  Some people only want teens or school aged kids.  I feel that we can adequately handle only babies right now since we've had only toddlers for the past 4 years!!!  Perpetual potty training and time-outs!!! It's amazing the PEACE I had while I was on the phone and while I was waiting for her to call back. I'm glad I was willing. I know that God knows what I can handle and He won't let me carry more than I can.  I have to admit it would have been fun to have 'twins'.                 Maybe next time! :) 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are short on homes too. I'm like you, I only want the littles. I'd rather have diapers than back talk!

FootPrints said...

god knows your heart my friend!

Penelope said...

We are also short on homes that will take little ones. It's tough having the babies. At least the older kids can help with chores. But the behaviors and schoolwork are tough.