Making a difference...One Starfish at a time

Our family started fostering back in 2005. We have been blessed to love on many babies. There has been many twists and turns throughout our journey and in December of 2010 we were called for placement of a newborn baby boy. His biological mother worked a case plan for 18 months and after 23 months she surrendered her rights and we adopted 'Sprout' in December of 2012. Our faith has been tried and tested and we are still certain that God is faithful!

December 8, 2009

<--- This month
<--- 3rd month




<--- 2nd month



<---1st month



I know I've shared that Hope has not allowed me to cut Lil' Man's hair. I really think he needs a hair cut!!! But I'm ONLY the foster parent!!! I've had to deal with SO many people asking if he's a boy or girl and I've had to deal with his teachers complaining about his hair in his face. Either they don't hear me or they don't understand!!! I'M NOT ALLOWED TO CUT IT! So, I've been creative. I took pictures to prove my point...
It's really gross when he eats...it needs to be pulled back {like a girl}.
It's HORRIBLE when his nose is running and his hair sticks to his snot...
It keeps him from seeing clearly and he makes NO effort to move it!!! {He walks in to walls and stumbles over things in his way...cuz he CAN'T SEE!!}
Any suggestions???? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

9 comments:

D said...

I have the same problem with one of mine. It's insane. I put it up in a pony tail on top of his head for visits, just to make my point. I tell mom, he needs to be able to see and eat with it out of his eyes and mouth. At this point I don't really care. It's not like *dfcs are paying for haircuts anymore. But I'm going to keep it out of his eyes. She can cut it when/if he comes home.

Erin said...

Cut a little bit in the front kind of haphazardly (or better yet let him cut it then you're not lying) and just say typical little kids got into the scissors the other day and took turns cutting each others hair? I think foster care in Canada must be completly different because keeping their hair cut is part of taking care of them health wise and is a requisite.
Good luck!

Erin said...

Cut a little bit in the front kind of haphazardly (or better yet let him cut it then you're not lying) and just say typical little kids got into the scissors the other day and took turns cutting each others hair? I think foster care in Canada must be completly different because keeping their hair cut is part of taking care of them health wise and is a requisite.
Good luck!

Leah Wentzel said...

don't you LOVE LOVE LOVE everything we are required to do and all the things we AREN'T allowed to do. so annoying...to say the least :)

Mrs. Breum said...

We cut our girls hair- all 4 of them and let the wrath emerge. I say, who cares.

I'd cut a little each week so no one notices!!!!

D said...

By shear accident my SW came over tonight and said HER supervisor saw the child at a visit and wanted to know why the FOSTER PARENT hadn't had the kids hair cut!? She did tell her the mother was refusing to let it be cut. But she told the Sw to tell me a foster child shouldn't be walking around looking like that and get it cut! whhhaa-hoooo

D said...

OK, I swear I'm not tech saavy either. I can only answer my cell phone, nothing else. David has to program it for me :)
go here: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&cds2Pid=30195
it may answer some of your questions.
I don't know how to describe it. You get the "books" from alot of places. Called ebooks. Amazon, Barnes and noble, almost anywhere that sells books. you buy the books, best sellers are about 9.99 and you can find ALOT of free books on the net too. the Nook lets you down load directly to itself (instead of having to transfer from the computer)and it's just THERE ready to read. It holds up to 1,000 books at a time to read!! I didn't even know such a thing existed til the hubby showed me one months ago. Amazon has a Kindle, like the Nook. But the Nook has so many more advantages. It's the size of a small paperbook, less than 1/2 inch thick and very light weight. you turn the page by touching the screen or by clicking a button.
I love it.

The Brothers said...

Set him at the table with crayons, paper, markers, etc. Give him scissors and tell him he's free to cut his hair if he wants. Then have the barber fix it. Tell Hope that you turned your back for a second while he was doing arts and crafts time at the table OR that he cut it himself when you weren't looking because he was sick of it. I've been there. DHS isn't going to do anything. They're too busy to care. Bigger fish to fry, m'dear. Oh, and they're probably sick of it, too. It's just a control thing for Hope. Rock her world. Might be good for her.

Beck G. said...

We had the SAME problem with the little boy we had last year. His hair was LONG, halfway down his back. (He was only a year old) And then it was past his eyes in the front. Sorry, but that is just mean for a little boy. We put it up in a ponytail on top, and whenever we were out in public, he wore a hat (it was winter).

The sad thing is, especially for these little Aboriginal kids, especially when seen with a white family, people can TELL they are foster kids. It's bad enough they have to be embarassed by how they look.