Making a difference...One Starfish at a time

Our family started fostering back in 2005. We have been blessed to love on many babies. There has been many twists and turns throughout our journey and in December of 2010 we were called for placement of a newborn baby boy. His biological mother worked a case plan for 18 months and after 23 months she surrendered her rights and we adopted 'Sprout' in December of 2012. Our faith has been tried and tested and we are still certain that God is faithful!

October 26, 2009

Some days are definitely harder than others with the boys. One day Arizona will be asking for his brother and they'll play for hours together and the next day I can't keep them from fighting, biting, pulling hair or throwing things at each other. I know that school has really helped their relationship. They look for each other more and have more better moments when they are together but I fear for what the future holds for the both of them when they go home. I don't think that Hope realizes what a task it will be to raise 3 boys this close in age and keep the peace in the house at the same time. I have an amazing husband and he is wonderful with the boys but Hope doesn't have this and I wonder how this will effect her parenting on a daily basis.

Lil' Man got his tubes last week and is repeating us a lot more. He still seems very angry and I know only God can heal his little heart. Arizona is learning to do many new things at school and he almost seems age appropriate in communicating his needs and wants. I do enjoy the little things that make each of them special. Arizona loves a tight hug and kiss in the morning and Lil' Man loves to be held instead of walking. I have no problem with that since I really don't know what every day life was like for them before they came here. Their personalities are revealed more with each passing day and I take comfort in knowing that whatever damage was done prior to them coming in to care can be reversed with love, time and prayer. I enjoy time alone with each little one knowing that they thrive on someone building up their self esteem. It has taken 3 months to get to this point where I know they care when I am disappointed and they know when I am proud.
Only time will tell what their future holds... While I wait to see, I'm enjoying trains, belly laughs, boy 'noises', walking with little chubby hands in mine and goodnight snuggles before bed. :)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks for posting this. It helps to know that I am not alone in the challenges and fears of fostering. Big sister has so much to overcome. Sometimes I feel at a complete loss and others very hopeful for improvement in so many areas. I feel so sad for her start in life.

Leah Wentzel said...

i always get sad when i think of s going home and having NO daddy (or kobe :) ) she will have a mom, but no dad or brother, of grandfather for that matter, to replace the ones she has here.