Making a difference...One Starfish at a time

Our family started fostering back in 2005. We have been blessed to love on many babies. There has been many twists and turns throughout our journey and in December of 2010 we were called for placement of a newborn baby boy. His biological mother worked a case plan for 18 months and after 23 months she surrendered her rights and we adopted 'Sprout' in December of 2012. Our faith has been tried and tested and we are still certain that God is faithful!

February 21, 2016

A little about Doodle

Doodle has been back now for about 9 days. She is settling in well and seems more content. The first 3 days were very hard.  She screamed constantly.  I don't remember her doing this while she was here for respite.  She didn't seem to make any eye contact and actually avoided it.  I felt like she screamed if I was holding her other than to feed her a bottle.  I asked some advice from other foster parents and I was told to wear her, touch her and hold her.  I did. Now, it seems...it's the opposite.  She greets me with a smile, is cooing and very content.  Even if her belly is full she loves to be held, rocked and she loves to have me sing to her. I found out quite a bit about bio mom this time around. Doodle has a 2 year old brother who is placed with the bio fathers mother (or grandmother) no one seems to know.  Bio mom is young.  When she took off her coat at our first visit I saw the scars from her cutting on her arm.  My heart breaks for her.  Last Wednesday she saw Doodle for the first time since removal.  She cried.  They have given her twice a week visits and 2 phone call updates a week.  I took the opportunity to ask mom about Doodle and how she bathes her and if she spits up a lot for her too.  She told me she loves her bath and she bathes her everyday. (Doodle screams during the bath as if someone is stabbing her.  She cries the entire time until she is in a towel.) I also asked bio mom is reflux has been mentioned by the doctor and she said no, Doodle doesn't spit up much. She also mentioned that Doddle was missing a doctors appointment that day.  Later on I called the office to reschedule Doddle's appointment and asked what she was being seen for...REFLUX.  So obviously bio mom's track record is 0/2.  She was supposed to have court on Friday and walk across the parking lot to the visit afterward.  She never showed but called me the night before to tell me she'd be there.  If she calls tonight for an update I have a few questions for her.  Doodle is sleeping better than she was even for respite.  I'm thankful for that.  We are just transitioning into baby world again and I'm happy it's not as hard as I thought it would be.  Sprout loves watching her and playing with her toes.  He sings silly songs to her and she lights up when he's around.  This week is 2 visits and a doctors appointment.  More soon...

No comments: