Making a difference...One Starfish at a time

Our family started fostering back in 2005. We have been blessed to love on many babies. There has been many twists and turns throughout our journey and in December of 2010 we were called for placement of a newborn baby boy. His biological mother worked a case plan for 18 months and after 23 months she surrendered her rights and we adopted 'Sprout' in December of 2012. Our faith has been tried and tested and we are still certain that God is faithful!

September 19, 2009

*****I am going public to network for help. I need input from those of you who have fostered/adopted (or know someone who has fostered/adopted) drug babies...specifically heroin. I'm looking for LONG TERM statistics (or personal experience) on taking a drug exposed/addicted baby OUT OF that socioeconomic status and raising that child with EI (Early Intervention) and proper love, nutrition and stability. Please email ANY info or links***** (email on profile)

Our week has gone well. We're definitely falling back into a school routine. The boys are doing better when they are separated. School has been an asset for Lil' Man. Since his big brother isn't here to beat on him, he is talking and engaging more and more. He is actually quite a little lovey when he doesn't have to fight for the love and hugs. :)

My husband and I attended a meeting for Arizona (2). His teacher was also there. She informed us that when she first reviewed his IEP she was a bit nervous to see if she could handle him. His behaviors that were listed made her nervous. There are only 12 students in his class. To help his teacher, there are 4 other adults (therapists and aides). She said his report make him out to be uncontrollable. Get this...she also stated that when she met him she was pleasantly surprised to see that most of what she read was wrong. Although he DOES have speech and behavior 'issues' she felt that the 'profile' was inaccurate. She also realized that he has been with us for the past 2 months and commented on what a difference we must be making. If I could tell you how good that made me feel...I would. But there are no words. I really felt that my feelings were validated. Since the boys were placed with us I have had many people tell me that maybe these boys are with me to show me that we really can't handle 2 more people in this family (let alone 2 rambunctious boys). I have been asked how we plan on helping these boys when we have our own children to take care of. I have spent many nights crying because I feel like no matter WHAT I do for them...it will never be enough. I can never fill the void of love that both of them have. I have felt that everything I do will be in vain since they are most likely going home. My patience has been tried and tested every way possible but by the grace of God I have held strong and SOMEONE has seen a difference. His teachers words MADE MY DAY. Since that meeting, now more than ever, I am sure that it is God's will for these boys to be here. I have fought for support from DSS and now I am tempted to take this report to the director to PROVE that this 'help' I have fought for has been completely validated! Not to say it's all unicorns and roses...FAR from it. But to share a happy moment...driving down the street, looking at 2 BOYS in my rear view mirror {GRIN}, listening to them singing Chris Tomlin's 'God of This City' at the top of their lungs. What more could I ask for??? I asked for 2 boys and I have them...maybe not EXACTLY what I wanted but if I learn ANYTHING through all this...it's to pray more specifically next time... :)

No comments: