Making a difference...One Starfish at a time

Our family started fostering back in 2005. We have been blessed to love on many babies. There has been many twists and turns throughout our journey and in December of 2010 we were called for placement of a newborn baby boy. His biological mother worked a case plan for 18 months and after 23 months she surrendered her rights and we adopted 'Sprout' in December of 2012. Our faith has been tried and tested and we are still certain that God is faithful!

July 17, 2009

It has been a pleasure to watch these boys learn how a family works and follow our daily routine. They obviously crave structure and praise. Not to say it's been easy. There are MANY times when I want to pull my hair out of my head...piece by piece. But I know they're trying. While I was looking for blog names for them someone suggested I wait to see their personalities...then get something from that. If I did this their names would be
"Time Out" and "Climber". (I may have to rethink the blog names of Hewey, Dewey and Lewey. Not only because I can't keep them straight but also because I think the actual D*is*ney names are spelled Hewey, Duey and Louie.) I digress...

While I was waiting for the boys I had these elaborate dreams of what we'd do once they were here. We have done a lot but it seems as if there isn't enough hours in the day. We are still learning a nap schedule and bedtime routines are coming together nicely. I had the privilege of staying during yesterday's visit with their older brother and paternal grandparents. My heart breaks that these 3 boys cannot be together but I know that God has not forgotten about them. After playing with the 3 of them during the hour visit I was wishing I had another bed in my house and a bigger car so I could keep them together. This boy (I was told) is extremely aggressive and very physical with his brothers. It didn't seem like this to me. He was easily re-directed with firm words and apologetic if he did something wrong. It seems that he was also the 'caretaker' while mom was 'unable' (unwilling...whatever). Yes...um, he's 4. It kind of baffles me that I was the one on the floor playing with them during the GRANDPARENTS visit. Grandma just sat there telling us all kinds of stories of why she didn't take the 3 boys. The boys that are with me gave their hugs and said goodbye but older brother was bawling. I have this crazy feeling something is not 'right' in the therapeutic home where he is placed. I think he is the youngest in the house only because when we said goodbye outside he was already in the (very full) car, crying hard, and no one was consoling him...not even the foster mom. I mean...seriously...the kid is 4!!! He's a baby that was trying to be the adult and his whole world has been turned up side down in the past week and a half. I have already asked the caseworker if we could take him home with us after next week's visit for a few hours. I hope I'm not opening a can of worms... I would never knock another foster parent but something doesn't seem right. New blog names to come... :)

No comments: