Making a difference...One Starfish at a time

Our family started fostering back in 2005. We have been blessed to love on many babies. There has been many twists and turns throughout our journey and in December of 2010 we were called for placement of a newborn baby boy. His biological mother worked a case plan for 18 months and after 23 months she surrendered her rights and we adopted 'Sprout' in December of 2012. Our faith has been tried and tested and we are still certain that God is faithful!

May 4, 2009

I have thought about whether or not I should share this story but I figure it can only add to the testimony of God's faithfulness to our family.

When Daisy came to us (5-08) she was almost 7 months old. She was sent here with 1/2 can of formula, clothes that were out of season and way too small for her. Her infant car seat, on the other hand, was in perfect condition. About 2 weeks after Daisy was settled in here, Psycho Chick asked for the car seat back. (Why? you ask?? For what child did she need a car seat??? I have NO clue) Anyway, I went out and borrowed an infant car seat. I actually had the choice between 3 car seats and I grabbed the closest one. I got it home, cleaned it up and installed it in the car. Over time, I came to the conclusion that IF and WHEN we were placed with a forever baby boy, he would need a brother. My logic was this...our youngest was only 2 when we started fostering. (She'll be 6 this week.) I think that is WAAY too much of an age gap. If we only had ONE boy, the poor thing would most likely wind up in dress-up clothes with a princess wand in his hand. In MY mind, he desperately needed a brother to play trucks and trains with. (It's MY fantasy..a girl can dream...right!?!?!) Anyway, we opened our home for a second placement and decided that if it was God's will for ONE boy (let alone 2)...HE was in control. I started watching a friends kids and since her youngest was younger than Daisy I looked into a double stroller. I had an EXACT price range and it had to be in excellent condition. I found one on Craigs*lis*t. It actually MATCHED the infant seat I already had. It was kind of a freak thing because the print on BOTH the car seat and stroller is no longer being made or sold in stores. I blew the coincidence off. Being the control freak that I am, I decided to make a deal with God. (Not the best idea) SO, I told God this...if it was HIS will for us to welcome 2 boys into this family...HE would have to show me by performing a 'trick' of some sort. This was my 'fleece' if you will. I asked God to provide us with ANOTHER INFANT CAR SEAT with the SAME exact print of the car seat that Daisy had (that matched the stroller). This was somewhat if a difficult possibility. Again...the PRINT IS NO LONGER SOLD IN STORES. It was discontinued a while back. My side of the bargain was this...


1. I could not/would not tell ANYONE what I was looking for.



2. I COULD NOT buy it on E*B*AY or at a yard sale.



3. It had to be given to me.



4. I COULD NOT go LOOKING for it. (I have a bit of control issues and I tend to like to try to 'help God out' sometimes. :)


I figured something of this magnitude could take YEARS for HIM to do. I was willing to wait. We had Daisy. We were content to wait. (We actually had NO choice)


About 2 months later a friend called me to tell me that she was blessed with some baby accessories and clothes for her newborn daughter. She asked me to come over and see if there was anything I needed for Daisy or fostering in general. I went over and went through some things with her. There wasn't much that I needed but on my way out she asked me if I needed a stroller. She told me that I was welcome to it if I liked it. When she opened the garage I almost wet myself. It was the stroller AND INFANT CAR SEAT in the SAME EXACT PRINT. I was BEYOND shocked. Here I am, with 2 MATCHING infant car seats AND the MATCHING double stroller. I just remember looking up and saying..."you're funny God".
SO. I sit here today. Daisy is with her forever family. We have room for 2 placements right now...I say...BRING IT ON! :)




4 comments:

Dawn and Dale said...

LOVE it!!! :D

Soooooo awesome!!

I've been praying for God to show Himself to me in a HUGE way....where I know without a 100% doubt in my mind that it is HIM that past week and a half!!! Nothing like putting God to the test hey?!! lol

Thanks for sharing!! It was a huge testimony to me as well!!!

Dawn and Dale said...

I just spent the last hour going through some of the blogs on your sidebar!! GREAT list of blogs my friend!! AMAZING families!!!!!!!

The Brothers said...

I would just tell DHS that you want twin boys!
After Zephan I told them, "We need to wait for a while now, but if you need placement for twin boys under 1 year old - call me."
Now, if the phone rings, it will be just what I want. And I'm willing to wait for what I want.

Chasing Pure Simplicity said...

I often needs "signs" as well. Just something to tell me that I'm doing the right thing... Looks like you have an amazing "sign." Just remember always - God is Faithful!