Making a difference...One Starfish at a time

Our family started fostering back in 2005. We have been blessed to love on many babies. There has been many twists and turns throughout our journey and in December of 2010 we were called for placement of a newborn baby boy. His biological mother worked a case plan for 18 months and after 23 months she surrendered her rights and we adopted 'Sprout' in December of 2012. Our faith has been tried and tested and we are still certain that God is faithful!

April 23, 2009

1st visit this week went well...although Daisy DID show signs of being EXTREMELY angry with me when I picked her up. I did not supervise the visit...but I spoke to the caseworker and he said although she was still a bit tired (probably from the flu) she played and interacted. The caseworker also told me that the (possible) forever family wants to do a respite weekend. I tried to explain that I think it would NOT be in Daisy's best interest to be dropped off at someones doorstep for an overnight without meeting them first. Since I do not work outside the home she is RARELY left with anyone (maybe 4 times since she was placed with us) and it would most likely freak her out to be dropped off with someone for an overnight to 'bond'. (Here is a PERFECT example of what DSS thinks is perfectly acceptable!) So. Tomorrow is another visit and my (Holy @*%#@) 100th post!! So. Give me the night to come up with something worthy of a 100th blog post and I'm sure after I supervise the visit I'll have stories to tell. Don't I ALWAYS?!?!? :)



The visit today went well. I supervised (if you can call it that!). Psycho Chick and Bio dad did well. We spent most of our time outside so Daisy was MUCH more comfortable and was talking up a storm. I have to admit, I kept looking at the clock because there wasn't much interacting on their part. But it's over. Daisy is napping. I'm sure she'll sleep good.



Now for the good stuff...Ok. I'm a bit amazed that this blog has made it to 100 posts. I guess I have a lot to say. :)



I have finally heard from Daisy's new family. They left a message and I'll return their call later tonight! I'm glad they got in touch. I was beginning to wonder what would happen if they decided against meeting her. It's been very bittersweet. I am so excited for her to finally have some permanency but we'll miss her so much. I know that she'll be ok. I feel that she is finally at the place where she'll bond with them and hopefully she won't remember her time with us. I hope her earliest memories are always of her new family! She has changed so much from the reserved 7 month old we brought home 11 months ago. She was always watching and waiting...she would never smile or actively play. Now...there's always a song on her lips and she's quick to yell "stop" or "no". Although I don't like these words coming out of her mouth...it shows how much she's grown while here. She's finally normal. You see, all kids around this age use the word 'no'...(right!?!?) She walks, she talks...she's healthy! That is our goal as foster parents. To get these children...from where they are...to where they're supposed to be. I think we've accomplished our goal with Daisy!



For a while I was thinking that having her here was taking us off the path of getting us to where WE wanted to be. We started fostering to adopt a son. A boy. Blue....to add to this VERY pink house. We love our 4 daughters very much. They are our princesses. Our pride and joy. But there has been something missing. A piece that we need to complete our family. A boy.I have had the desire to foster (and adopt) since I was a child. I remember hearing stories of my grandmother who was also a foster parent. The Depression was a hard time on everyone so my grandmother used to foster to help bring in extra money. But she quickly got attached and hoped to adopt the baby girl she fostered. Back in those days it was not allowed. I heard stories of how hard it was to give these babies back (sometimes with no warning). As I got older and realized the need...the decision was made then. I would be a foster parent. I know it doesn't carry the most glamorous stigma (especially with 4 children of my own...we look like a traveling circus!) But it was my heart's desire nonetheless. I have heard everything from "the check must be good" to "she's so lucky". I will be totally honest. It is not the most rewarding job when you hear what some of these children have gone through or have to go back to. It breaks my heart to know that for the first almost 7 months, Daisy was not nurtured. Only her basic needs were met. But knowing that I can make a difference in her life (if even for a short time)...THIS is why we continue. Holding my sweet Felix, I was able to glimpse the feeling of completeness for our family. No, I did not stray from the path by taking my sweet Daisy. I know that God himself has been holding my hand and walking along side me. It hasn't been easy. But HE didn't promise that it would be easy. HE just promised He'd be there to walk with us. God has us on the path HE chose for us. Where ever it may lead...we're willing to go. I pray that it brings us to our 'complete' soon. (VERY SOON!) I know we're doing the right thing. So. That, my friends, was my 100th post. Daisy has possible found her forever family and I made it to 100! Wow. What a day...

1 comment:

Dawn and Dale said...

Happy 100th post!!! :D

I'll be praying for Daisy and her new family!! (And for your family as you all go through so many changes!!!)