Little Mighty was placed with us in October of 2014. He was a 15 pound nugget only after gaining 2 pounds in 5 days in the hospital. He was 10 months old. He didn't turn his head when I called his name. He barely sat up or crawled. He was essentially a 2 month old. He is still here after 8 months. He is transitioning home and will be placed back home permanently in about 2 weeks. His bio parents have finished their parenting classes, done their mental health counseling, taken substance abuse counseling and 'kept their home safe and stable'...(meaning no CPS calls regarding their 2 other children).
They also...
Cancelled about 33 percent of the visits when they were supervised.
(More than once) Have not changed his diaper during a 6 hour visit. (Yes, I marked the diapers)
Sent him home in dirty, filled diapers.
Complained about having to feed him because I get their W*IC checks and they cant afford to feed him.
Had him 'nap' for 2 hours during a 4 hour visit at 10 in the morning.
Not made it to ANY of his appointments that were scheduled for months (well baby, sick child visits, and specialist appointments).
Cancelled a specialist appointment I had for a hearing evaluation because he was on their time and at overnight and they didn't want to bring him.
Sent him home to me because they didn't want him while he was sick. (with a runny nose)
Cancelled visits if they knew he was sick the day before.
Have made excuses on why they can't have more time with him when the worker tries to extend visits.
I fear for his future. While he doesn't come home with bruises I can tell that he is hungry and he usually eats a full meal even after bios state they've fed him.
Court is in 2 weeks. I was told to expect him to be returned then. I've started packing his things. There is no reason to believe that he won't go home. Last court date was the beginning of June. Prior to walking into court it seemed that the decision had already been made to return him home. The actual 'court session' seemed like a formality. So much that when the judge asked if I had anything too add I shook my head and couldn't speak because I was dumbfounded.
At 18 (almost 19) months old...Little Mighty is not walking. He doesn't have ONE word. He makes good eye contact and knows his name. He is crawling and pulling to stand. He eats like a man and sleeps like a baby. He plays hard in between. He is receiving speech and occupational therapy. Foster care is not fair. I struggle with the fact that he's leaving only because the bios haven't changed. They've done NOTHING to make me think that he'll be out of his crib and playing and/or stimulated. This is exactly what he came FROM. No human interaction or stimulation and they weren't feeding him. And I hope I'm wrong but it seems he's going back to exactly that.
4 comments:
If you've become friendly with the pediatrician... Hope he goes to the same one after... Make sure they require post reunification weight checks, like we did for one of ours that went home.... I hope they are going home with services and follow ups.... So sad for him.
I'm so sorry! So sad.
So sorry. :( That's awful.
This is heartbreaking.
Post a Comment