Making a difference...One Starfish at a time

Our family started fostering back in 2005. We have been blessed to love on many babies. There has been many twists and turns throughout our journey and in December of 2010 we were called for placement of a newborn baby boy. His biological mother worked a case plan for 18 months and after 23 months she surrendered her rights and we adopted 'Sprout' in December of 2012. Our faith has been tried and tested and we are still certain that God is faithful!

August 5, 2013

Fostering special needs...

A bit surprised at how fast I'm falling in love with this sweet baby.  I guess making sure her every need is met is helping us bond a bit better.  People's reactions to the fact that Baby Love has Down*Syndrome has been mostly of pity.  I can only imagine what reactions biological parents of children with special needs get.  Some people are bold enough to tell me that 'they screen for that early on in the pregnancy'.  Don't get me started on my reaction. I recently heard someone say that babies in utero who are diagnosed with Down Syndrome are targeted for extinction.

It broke my heart.  

I have a hard time believing that just because she has an extra chromosome she is not 'worthy of life'.  I truly believe that God created her in His image and has a plan for her life...just as He does for you and me.  She is truly a treasure.  Her smile is amazing and just this past week I am seeing her personality blossom.  She is desiring more contact and telling me by crying when I put her down and following me around the room with her eyes.  Her heart surgery is scheduled for later this month and I am praying that her recovery time is fast.  She is truly a fighter.  She has a such a 'spicy' personality.   The pediatr!c cardiolog!st has assured me that after the surgery she will be a 'typical child with Down Syndrome'.  She will grow and gain weight like any other child.  Her heart is working in triple time right now and she is burning way too many calories to gain weight.  Please pray with me that God will guide the dr's hands and her recovery time will be swift. 
Trusting in a God who loves her more than I do... 

1 comment:

KathyM said...

When I was pregnant with both of my girls, I was offered the screening. I refused, which my midwife knew I would, and that was that with my first. By the time I had my second, I was nearing 40, so she just marked that I didn't want the screening, but EVERY nurse I saw asked me. I kept telling them absolutely not. They weren't screening for anything they could fix, so I didn't want it. Finally my midwife told them to knock it off, I didn't care and didn't want it. That was that. I guess I am still shocked that people are willing to do that....it doesn't make sense to me. Prayers and blessings to you.