Making a difference...One Starfish at a time
Our family started fostering back in 2005. We have been blessed to love on many babies. There has been many twists and turns throughout our journey and in December of 2010 we were called for placement of a newborn baby boy. His biological mother worked a case plan for 18 months and after 23 months she surrendered her rights and we adopted 'Sprout' in December of 2012. Our faith has been tried and tested and we are still certain that God is faithful!
February 7, 2010
I wanted to explain why I made the decision to call D*S*S on Baby 'C's mom. I think I'll feel better if you understand my heart. Baby 'C' was placed with us from another foster home at 4 months old. He had already been in care for 2 months. He was a shaken*baby. There were NO allegations...someone actually SAW his father shake him and his mother stand there and do NOTHING. When asked about this incident, she said that it NEVER happened. These people are transient and have never had a stable place to live. Baby 'C' was brought home from the hospital to a motel room. Baby 'C' was the youngest of 6 {between both parents} at the time of his birth. His former foster mother requested to have him moved because she couldn't handle his high pitched scream. {First red flag} Of course, as our first placement, I was THRILLED to take an infant boy. and thought LOVE could heal ALL his problems. (Pride comes before a fall) He never made good eye contact {2nd red flag} and would arch his back when held close. {3rd flag}. After months and months of therapies and doctors appointments they labeled him severely globally delayed (duh). When it came down whether or not we wanted to adopt him we HAD NO CHOICE but to say no. He was so delayed and we don't think he was able to bond with us. My husband and I felt that we had done the most we could for him and we were scared for his future. His adoptive family is wonderful. A few months after his adoption was finalized his bio mom told me she was pregnant. Same father. They still didn't have somewhere to bring this baby home to. Most of the time I saw them hanging out on the street because they admitted that where they were staying was only good enough to sleep there. I called D*S*S when Sweet Pea was born. Baby 'C's FULL BIO baby sister. I explained my concerns to D*S*S and at that time I found out that I wasn't the only one who had concerns. Sweet Pea was taken from her mothers arms when she was less than 24 hours old. Bio dad threw a tantrum in the hospital and was escorted from the building. He was unable to be with bio mom for the rest of her stay in the hospital. {She had a c-section} Although they are dysfunctional...they DO love each other and had been through more than most couples I know. Anyway, Baby 'C's adoptive family brought Sweet Pea home with them as their new foster daughter. Fast forward exactly 15 months and she is now their adopted daughter. Sweet Pea is stable and secure. She is normal and healthy. The fear of bio mom bringing this new baby home from the hospital to the chaos that is her life...it's a VERY scary thought. Especially when whatever potential danger COULD BE AVOIDED!!! Bio mom is now living in the next state and D*S*S is aware of what county she is in. Phone calls will be made and whatever CAN be done to save this new baby from a life of instability and pain...WILL BE DONE. I think that bio mom trusts me and knows that I am looking out for her best interest. She never has had stability in her own life and is a product of the system herself. This new baby is not a full bio sibling. That is a part of the story I have yet to hear. I have been looking for bio mom whenever I am in that part of town. I really made that call as a preventative measure. I am scared for that baby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Not that you need my approval but I think you did the right thing. I hope they are able to get this baby out of an inevitably horrible situation.
So sad these bm keep having babies after losing custody of previous children. Our bm has had 6, one died and the other 5 are being adopted and now she is pregnant again. It seems criminal that they can keep having babies. Actually, in our case it is criminal because all of these children have been born addicted and she still has not been arrested. I can't understand this!!!
Stopped by your blog for the first time tonight and really enjoyed reading it. We are about to start our new adventure in Fostering while holding tight onto God's hand...
I hear ya. I'm glad you called. someone has to look out for that baby's best interest.
Post a Comment