I am constantly asked WHY I would want to adopt a child if I already have 4. How do I explain a feeling of 'incomplete'? I know our family is not yet ready to move on to our forever. Maybe in the future God will take this unbelievable desire from me....maybe not. Right now...we're doing what we feel is 'our part'...by fostering. When Daisy left, I tried to explain to people that it was eerily quiet in the house without her here. Some people are curious how that could be...we already HAVE 4. I have tried to use the analogy that if you had ONE child and that child went away...would you not sense the difference??? We have 4 completely different children. If you take ONE personality and the mannerisms of that person and rid you house of it...you'll sense the difference. Hence, the reason for the pronounced change in the atmosphere in our home. My house is too quiet...I need MORE...
This was posted on Lynee's blog http://lewisboys.blogspot.com/. It's an excerpt from a book by a woman who is a mom to many...
"I know I'm not solely responsible for the world's children.
Each time we have adopted, we have not done it out of some misguided savior complex
but because we wanted another person to hug at night,
another face at our table,
another little one to teach to talk and walk and ride a bike,
another person to rejoice over as she or he grows and learns.
And yet,
when and if my husband declares that finally...we're 'done'...
whether we care to face it or not...
we are also closing a door in the face of a real living child
waiting somewhere in the world who could be ours.
Call me nuts if you will,
but I'm not ready to close that door.
Not just yet."
--Mary Ostyn, A Sane Woman's Guide to Raising a Large Family
My thoughts...EXACTLY!!!
3 comments:
Oh my gosh!! I LOVE that!! Thank you for sharing!!!
Can I borrow it too???!!
I agree- and great post!
Amen to that!
Found your blog off of Bri's blog (Joyous Journeys). We are a foster to adopt family with three bios and one foster son who we will hopefully soon adopt.
It's always fun to stumble across family's on a similar journey!
:-) Beth in NC
Post a Comment