***UPDATE*** Too funny! After I typed this my cell phone rang and it happened to be bio dad stating that he needed money because they were being evicted and they could only go to the new place if he paid more money for bio mom to stay there. Of course, after my long, drawn out post I felt OBLIGATED to give them the money. To you and I it would be a meal at McDonAld*s but to them it was the difference between staying together or finding somewhere else to stay. They're transient and like I've stated before...they do the best they can. As I handed him the money I told him he did not need to pay me back but this was THE ONLY time I would help them out financially. I explained to him how important it was to plan better. Also because the thought ran through my head that we are entertaining angels unaware. What if that were MY daughter or son. I pray that someone would have the compassion to help them out. I still laugh at myself for the predicaments I put myself in. :)
It's amazing how this change. When a child is placed in our home, it's hard not to hold a bit of resentment toward the parents knowing it's their actions that brought their child to me. When Baby C was with us his parents were not my favorite people, to say the least. But now that he is with his forever family, I see that his bio parents have not changed their lifestyle. They are still in the same financial position, at the same place mentally, and there's no desire to incentive to change. Not even having their baby girl in foster care. I'm thankful that Baby C's adoptive parents have Sweet Pea (Baby C's new baby sister). They are fostering her in hopes of adoption. I have been in touch with the bios since before Sweet Pea's birth. Hoping to help her get what she needs and encourage her to get herself together so she can keep her baby girl. Sadly, losing children to the system is not new to her and as far as I know she is unaware that anything can be done to change it. There is no on e there for her showing her the way to be a better parent. There is no one there to encourage her that she'd be a good mom if only she'd learn that her children have to come first. There was never anyone there to show her that she, herself, is special and worth something. Since Baby C has left a relationship between his bios and myself has formed. I make sure they are warm in winter and encourage them to keep up with visits with Sweet Pea. I am very realistic toward them when it comes to surrendering their rights so Sweet Pea can have some stability. I encourage them to stay out of trouble and do the right thing. I worry about them not having a coat and hat in winter while my fingers are numb as I take out the mail. I wonder if they've eaten a meal as I sit to dinner. I know they can minimally take care of themselves because they've probably had to do this all their lives. I guess it's a cycle. Their parents are neglected and in turn neglect them. And this, ultimately repeats itself and THAT is the reason THEIR children end up in foster care. This past weekend I was called by the bios. She wanted to let me know that she was given a picture of Baby C and his new baby sister and she wanted to share it with me. Since Baby C has gone to live with his new family I have not received updates from them aside from running into them at the store. Once or twice we've exchanged words but for the most part I have felt like I am a threat to them. Since Baby C is with them for over a year now I guess they feel secure that he is theirs. They actually have gotten a picture of Baby C and Sweet Pea to me...THEMSELVES. I was able to see Sweet Pea and ask about Baby C. (She looks JUST like her big brother) and it just baffles me that she is the same age as HE was when he came to live here. I'm so happy for the adoptive family. Not only do they have the blessing of Baby C but they have been able to take Sweet Pea home from the hospital sparing her from what her big brother went through at the hands of their bio parents. My heart still goes out to bio parents. I think that what they've endured at the hands of their own parents merits some dismissal of judgement.
1 comment:
You really couldn't have said this better - it's really hard to put into words, the compassion, but the extreme hurt and moments of intense anger.
Hang in there and know that blessings are headed your way soon...
Post a Comment